Sunday, July 20, 2014

To Cross The Ocean - Book Review

I elected to review this book and I have to say, I was not disappointed. Now typically, I am not thrilled with the typical romance novel. This book however, intrigued me. I get the romance of a young girl on a trip away from home alone and this is exciting to read. However, the part of this book that I loved the most was the descriptive nature of the book. "To Cross the Ocean" is about a young Jewish Israeli girl, an only child, who is yearning to learn more of what happened to her great-grandfather during tho Holocaust. Her great-grandfather has told her some of his story and unfortunately he dies before he can tell the rest of the story, so she, Nettie, studies all she can find about and talks her parents into allowing her to go on a Memory Trip that the schools in Jerusalem have for seniors each year. As it turns out her two best friends who were supposed to travel with her are not able to go, leaving her without roommates in the hotel in Poland where the romance begins.

I will not summarize the book here as I feel it will not do justice to the book, you must read this book to understand the ramifications of her faith and her love for her young man, Eric.

I do want to point out that in our American tradition of publications being absolutely grammatically correct, you will find this book lacking.  It is not grammatically correct in any sense of the word.  At first I found this a bit annoying however, after reading a few chapters, I find it makes this book "feel right".

As we all know, especially if we pay attention to those around us, most people from other countries often speak our language with some difficulty, with words left out of sentences, words that seem out of order in the sentence, that sort of thing.  Well this book is written much like it is being spoken directly to you in this manner.  I found it charming and it made it more realistic to me while reading.

I found this book fascinating, the details of the trip and the places visited in Warsaw, Poland.  Perhaps some will not find this to be true, but I happen to be one of those people who believe that everyone should know about the holocaust, why it happened, what happened to the people and how they suffered and how it affected the lives of the survivors and their children and grandchildren.  If we don't allow ourselves to know and understand about this, we can not prevent it from happening again and we MUST prevent it from happening again.

We all have the right to live as we please, love as we please, and believe as we please. Each one of us should respect the difference between all the people of this world and enjoy those differences.,  God made no mistakes and we can learn from each other.  We are instructed by Jesus Christ to love one another.

Personally, I think that is what I brought away from this reading, a fresh determination to love everyone as I believe God loves us to the best of my ability.

I hope you will get this book, you can find it on Amazon, read it and enjoy it.  I recommend it for all ages.



Be blessed
Mimi

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you so if you have a question or comment, please feel free to post it here.