Monday, June 16, 2014

What Did I Learn Today?

Well that is a million dollar question isn't it?  My first thought was to title this post "What Did We Learn Today?" but I could not in all honesty do that because I am not teaching today.  In fact, for whatever reason, I slept off and on all day long.  I am not sure why, but my body and my mind just would not work today.  So did I learn anything?  The answer...

Is Yes.  But it was actually yesterday that I slept most of the day as it is now 4 a.m.  So what I learned actually happened in the last hour.  I was reading some post on a facebook group that I recently joined and visiting some of the links that I saw there.  And, what happened?  Learning happened.  Thank God for the peace and quiet of early mornings.

I read a blog by  Jody Hagaman.  In this blog, I learned, or actually both realized and learned that I needed to do something to help my grandson become a better person before I had an unruly teenager to handle.  I have been trying to instill Christian values and having some success, but also having a lot of tug of war going on.  But in this blog I saw a very simple step to starting him on his way to being the person he is meant to be.

I say it is simple, it really is.  You can click the link above for Jody and read for yourself, but here it is in a nutshell.  When you require a task of your child, do not consider that task completed until they have come to you and asked one very simple question.  "Is there anything else that I can do for you?"  She uses role play to instill this in her children and she learned it from another child.  Amazing.  It is just one more way we can train our children.

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6

This is something that I thought that I was doing, but when I take a long hard look at the lessons, I was teaching, I was not very happy with what I saw, so a new journey begins and it begins with me.

I have to change my perspective, let old things fall away, learn to zip my lip, and most of all let go and let God.  I have this wonderful grandson who is usually fighting mad, but from another source today I also learned that I and his mother are the reason for this.  A good read is a book called "Love Your Children on Purpose" by Danny Silk.  It was very insightful and informative and I learned some amazing things about not just my grandson's behavior, but that of most children I see around me these days

I don't want to be controlled, so why would I want to keep this child under my control.  God guides us in freedom, so I must learn this lesson from God and guide my grandson and any other child who comes under my tutelage in freedom, not control.

Since this is a confession of sorts, my own mistakes that I have felt conviction for by the Holy Ghost, I truly hope that it helps someone to see more clearly.

Thank you for reading.

Be blessed
Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you so if you have a question or comment, please feel free to post it here.