Sunday, August 4, 2013

Reaching Limits

How many times have you reached your limit.  Listening to the kids bicker and squabble, putting up with the inconsiderate people in the grocery store, and sometimes just the general ugliness in the world around us. You know the general everyday occurrences that grate on our nerves some days til we think we just can't stand one more thing.

Well here is my story and my most recent limit.  We found out our rental house which is in foreclosure proceedings is now going to be auctioned next week.  We have been searching for a home we could afford that would allow us the space we need.  A home that I managed as a Realtor up until about a year ago seemed to be available as the owner notified me that the tenant was not paying his rent on time and was I interested in the home.  Yes I am interested in the home I tell him, and we start to figure out exactly how much money we will need to do this.  Point of fact here is that I now have no income, so we try to manage on my daughters income which is part time employment.  She has also been searching for a second job with not much luck.  Fortunately she has an interview in a week or so that looks really promising.  I would ask you for your prayers for her success.

We start sorting, you know the usual, Throw Away, Donate, Keep, Yard Sale baskets.  Then get a call, tenant paid his rent, so house is not available, back to the drawing board, stop the sorting for now. Two months later an email arrives, tenant has not paid rent in 2 months, evict him.  I can't, I am no longer a Realtor, so I find someone to do it for him, right?  Wrong, don't want to spend that much money on eviction if I can get him to move on his own.  I now explain to him that this guy is a con artist and he needs to be careful of how he handles him.  OK.  Picked up a document from the tenant indicating he would be out of the house on August 1 and would make some needed repairs due to damage to home.  That's cool right?  Wrong.

Now it is August 4th and tenant is still not out of the house, plus I find that he has scheduled his utilities and cable, etc to be disconnected closer to the 15th than to his agreed upon 1st.  What's up with that?  Notified owner, and at his request have made 4 separate trips to this home in 2 days to get this guy out of the house.  Owner pushing us to move in by the 15th and we have to paint the entire interior of the house, complete the repairs the tenant has not completed and do the ones he did not even start in 9 days.  PLUS, PLUS, he has agreed to allow the tenant to put his belongings in a shed on the property.  Right?

I AM NOW AT MY LIMIT, the breaking point.  I have purchased over $200 in paint and still have other materials to buy which the owner will reimburse or deduct, but this is not the point, now have money tied up in these materials and can't get into the house to do the work, YET the owner wants me to guarantee him that we will move in by August 15 so he does not lose another months rent.  Yep, beyond breaking point.

So how to handle this break. Well first my personality is to get right down to the nitty gritty with the tenant and tell him what is what.  Get out or face eviction immediately.  But I pray for another answer.  I do not pray for patience because usually God will test me on my patience and I don't usually do very well on the test, though I diligently try.  I pray for calmness, grace and the ability to try to respond to this person with God's love.  God is so good, I have remained calm, gracious to the tenant and even patient.  Yes, God is awesome like that.

But still pushing my limit here.  I go again today to hopefully walk into an empty house that I can start to paint.  I did however, put my foot down with the owner and let him know that I will absolutely not move into the home until this guy has removed all of his belongings from the property.  I will not live in the home as long as he is coming back to this shed to get this or that or whatever.  Owner tried to push back a little by saying but you said you needed it as soon as possible.  Right I did say that and I do, but enough is enough and this is where I drew the line.

Thankfully, God has apparently been working on his heart as well, because I got a text today letting me know that he could not push me and wanted me to have the time to do what needed to be done in the home to make is nice and for it to be safe for my family.  Thank you God for your watchful eye and for knowing me better than I know myself.

What is your limit?  How do you handle that breaking point?

Be blessed
Mimi


1 comment:

  1. Hi Pam,
    Haven't stopped in for a while. Been out of town and busy with many new blogging groups. Sorry to see you are struggling. When I reach my breaking point, I try to remember to hit my knees.
    ~~ Renee
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you so if you have a question or comment, please feel free to post it here.