Monday, July 15, 2013

A Minute in Time

Today I was just cruising my facebook page and the Internet.  I think I had about 12 different tabs open on my browser and had 2 different browsers open.  Yeah, and I wonder why my computer wants to crash. LOL.  At any rate.  I came across a short article about a professor and a mayonnaise jar.  Perhaps you have heard this story, perhaps not, if not then stay tuned.

A professor was standing in front of his class waiting for the class to settle in and then when it was quiet, he brought out a large mayonnaise jar, empty of course, he proceeded to fill it with golf balls and asked the class if it was full to which they responded in the affirmative.  He then took a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar, gave it a bit of a shake and asked if the jar was now full, again the class responded in the affirmative.  Next, he brought out a bag or box, I don't remember which of sand which he poured into the jar.  He again asked if the jar was now full and again, now the class responded unanimously 'yes'.  Next he pick up two cups of coffee and poured both into the jar.  Now is the jar full?  Of course as the class laughed.

He began to explain to them that this was a lesson for their life.  The golf balls represented the important things in life, God, family, friends, etc. The pebbles were pretty much the basics of life, car, job, home, etc and the sand was all the little stuff.  His point was that the golf balls were THE most important things in their lives and if everything else were gone they would still have a full life, however, if they filled up their lives with the 'little stuff' the sand, there would be no room for the golf balls, the important things in life.  A student rose her hand and asked what the coffee represented and he responded with, this just shows you that no matter how full your life is there is always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend.

Now of course I have paraphrased pretty much all of the article I read, but the point is to tell you the story the way that I told my now 6 year old grandson 'little man'.  I was just a teensy bit shocked that he actually listened to me tell the story quite attentively, but not only that, I said to him, "now let me read it to you from the article that I read."  He sat down and listened again, attentively.  We then talked about it for just about 2 minutes, but during those 2 minutes of time, I saw a light in my grandson's eye s that told me, "hey, Mimi, I get it.".

What he actually said to me was this. "Mimi, so you, mom, Mrs. Nancy, Mr. Joe and Cam are my golf balls, right."  he said.

"Right." I said.

 "Sooooooo, my toys and cartoons and math and writing, they are the little stuff, right?"  he said.

Now, how do I answer that one.

Well this is what I said. "while those things are very important to you and math and writing will one day become much more important than cartoons and toys, yes, they are part of the little stuff, but maybe we should make some pebbles, what do you think?"

"I think you are right, Mimi, but later ok?" "'Cause you know I'm on vacation right now." he said.

"Ok, later is fine." I said

As he runs off to play, he turns to me and says, "But MIMI, can Bumble Bee and Optimus be my golf balls too?" I nod as he happily turns to play and I turn back to cruise the Internet for more interesting things to impart to this 'little man'.

I happen to think that this was a great moment in time.

What has been one of your best 10-15 minutes of time

May God bless you all abundantly.

Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you so if you have a question or comment, please feel free to post it here.