Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Homeschool Journey

I hope you enjoy this particular journey.

 As we take this learning journey together, my "little man" and I have had many miserable days. Some nearly intolerable.  Thanks to my heavenly Father that he has given me an indomitable spirit.  I do not quit, I do not give up.  Even when faced with sure failure, of being knocked down again and again, I keep coming back again and again. I am new to homeschooling and therefore I am learning as I go and even though I do, letting go of preconceived notions of "school" is difficult.

We still have more “bad” days than good.  This week I just left, I put my sneakers on and took a walk of about 1 ½ miles.  A lot for someone who never goes out walking.  I sat at the Mickey D's drinking water.  Yep, I live in Florida and it was the middle of the day and about 90 degrees.  I started praying, did some crying and some more praying.  Folks must have thought me crazy. No worries.

God strengthened my spirit yet again to face the challenge of teaching a gifted and talented little boy of 5 years old.  What God has shown me is I don’t need to teach this child. He has given him everything he needs to succeed and that all I need to do is provide the highway so to speak and make sure to instruct him to keep it between the lines which I try do through daily devotion and Bible study.

Two of our favorite verses are

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not you’re your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and He will make your paths straight. 

and

Colossians 3:23 “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.


I began to think on accomplishments rather than issues. Jaeden hates to write, hates math and if it involves any part of picking up a pencil, then it simply is either not going to be done or there will be a war of wills. Mind you he is quite good at both.  So we get him as many books as the library will allow.  He prefers that fiction be read to him and he spends his time reading the non-fiction books which we fondly call his “did you know” books a term which came about because every time he would pick up one of these books we would spend hours listening to him say “Mimi, did you know?” “Mom, did you know?”

From some of his “did you know” books and a lot of  resources provided through facebook friends, homeschool group friends guiding me to free materials he has now created a wonderful lapbook on Nature.  It began as a study on plants and evolved into plants, butterflies, birds and insects.  We will complete this lapbook next week with our final studies on birds and insects.  It has taken us about 5 weeks to complete but we only work on the actual creation of the lapbook when he is more willing to do a bit of writing.  I sometimes write what he dictates to me, but I insist that some of the writing must be done by him.

My little man loves to be outdoors so our first true lapbook experience was inspired by a field trip to a garden here in town.


Take a look at what he has so far.  




And here is the adorable face that I love so much.  These looks and this happiness is why I homeschool and why I simply must continue to change my thinking about schooling and methods .  



But 'little man' has a bit of a thought process change to endure as well. Pictures don't lie, look at that face.  Devious looks, yeah he is always thinking of ways to trick 'mimi'.

Thank you for reading and I hope that you are enjoying your own homeschool journey.

I will leave you with one of my favorite scriptures that I read to Jaeden every day.

Provers 9:10
Fear of the Lord is beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

Be blessed
Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you so if you have a question or comment, please feel free to post it here.