Thursday, May 23, 2013

THANK YOU

This post is really to let everyone know how much I appreciate what you do.  I have to say that I spend a lot of time reading blogs and other sites created by some really talented people.  I have links to some of them on the left and right of my blog page here.  Feel free to click through to them.

Why do I spend so much time reading the posts and information that others offer?  Well, I thought that it was because I just wanted inspiration and ideas of new things to do with my grandson "little man"  In reality, I think it was because I was trying to read between the lines to find out if anyone else was having or had ever had the same kinds of issues that I am having.  If you read some of the other posts I have made you will find that I have a tremendously gifted and extremely hyperactive 5 year old that we removed from public school because he was being treated so badly by his teacher and therefore by the other students to which she has admitted.  She has said that she simply did not know what to do with him or how to teach him at the same time she was teaching others that were not where he was, so she just claimed that he was a behavior problem, which actually caused him to become a behavior problem.  Not only that but she caused him to dislike learning with a passion, something that we have not yet in the months since November been able to change.

At first I know that it was my teaching style, I was still a "school" person and tried to teach him that way.  Now don't get me wrong he was successful at first doing tons of work, then suddenly one day he just stopped and said "NO, I am NOT doing that." and he has continued to do that to this day.  Occasionally we can get some things accomplished but it happens rarely

So this is basically my blog about quitting. I think I don't have a choice but to give up.  I want so much for this little one and I love him so much.  I have prayed and prayed and prayed and I keep coming up empty. I have scoured the internet and found so very many things that would make learning fun for him, but, if it means he has to write one word or work with even on number, he goes into meltdown and I just can't stand to hear all the hatred that he spews out at me when this happens.  I don't know where it comes from because he was and is most of the time, such a happy, loving child.  He has such a big heart that it breaks my heart to see this happening to him and me not have a clue as to how to help him.

I will continue my blog to hopefully put something out there that someone else will find useful for their own children and I will continue to keep you all in my prayers.  Maybe someday, God will answer my prayers with this "little man" and we will see some measure of success,

So enough rambling, enough of my problems.  THANK YOU ALL for the inspiration and the ideas that you have given to me for homeschooling.  You are doing a wonderful job and raising such wonderful children.  I see from many photos that you share that your children are happy and love what they are doing.  Great job!!!!

May God Bless you all throughout your journey and if I can help you in any way whatsoever please just post a comment somewhere here or send me an email and I will certainly be willing to do the research you need or the praying that you need always.

Be Blessed

Mimi

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Pam, I will be praying for you and your grandson. My 6 year old can ba a real pistol, too. We utilize a virtual charter school. It makes it easier for him to differentiate between mom and teacher. Have you considered a virtual school? I would be happy to give you any information. God Bless :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciate your prayers

      Delete
  2. Hi Pam,
    First thanks for the link on your sidebar! Much appreciated. Second. I too have days of battle with my own "Little Man" and it is a challenge almost every day. So you are not alone it that. It isn't easy this world of homeschooling! Esp. when trying to educate a child that is gifted. For us, when we see such tendencies spewing forth, we change our focus back on heart focus and begin to teach about self control. Which in all things has to come before book learning.
    We also teach a great deal of respect for adults, teachers and parents (grandparents too). Because my Little Man, thinks because he is smarter than we are, he somehow has the right to be in "charge" but he is not and does not have that right. Just yesterday, I had to set him straight using parent guided biblical discipline.
    When we have a child with gifted abilities, they usually come with emotional intensities, so we have to teach Heart Skills, before we teach Book Skills. Esp. when they are young.
    Also, it's ok. to let go of book learning or any other type of "education" at this age, to focus on heart issues.
    Seek ye first the kingdom of God and all these things shall be added unto you. Matthew 6:33.
    I know as a "teacher" we feel such a big obligation to make sure they are doing their "school" work but I am a firm believer in true learning begins in God's word.
    I'm also a firm believer in giving our children clear rules, expectations and consequences. That means we have to get ahead of them and stay ahead of them, esp our gifteds, because if we dont' they will run right over us without a care in the world.
    I do hope this comment is encouraging to you because that is my intention.
    You ARE doing a good job, and You CAN do this even when it seems like you cannot! Because you KNOW what your grandson needs and you are seeking every possible opportunity to supply his need. But his first need is and always will be a heart that seeks after God through Jesus Christ.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee, thank you so much and your post is encouraging. I know there are others out there who face the same issues, it sometimes just seems so insurmountable. For a long time now, 'little man' has talked about God, asked questions about God and made comments about God that I honestly can not tell you where he learned them because they are things that we had not yet discussed with him. However, when I began a daily devotion time (first thing of school time) and prayer, he changed and now he refuses to pray, refuses to read the Bible which he had been so interested in before. I just don't understand why this happened because with all of his conversations and questions, I thought that devotion would be just what he wanted. We started with Proverbs (for character training). My only thought is that it must be me, that I am doing something wrong, because now, he won't read the Bible, won't do devotions, won't even talk about God. Has even told me that the devil created him for God to send him to me. Where does this come from? I am trying to be a good Christian now, I have not always been and I know a lot about the Bible but not necessarily where to find things. We don't have a home church and no friends in this area even though we have lived here for over 20 years. (I am a bit reclusive, to say the least). I know I need to do more but not sure where to begin. I am sorry to post such a long reply, but will begin with the scripture that you posted and perhaps God will lead me further.

      Delete
    2. I sent you a private email. I would love to follow up with you.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you so if you have a question or comment, please feel free to post it here.